Add Diet is a particular type of diet that is good for people with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Obviously ADD Diet can help abating ADD and ADHD symptoms. Lets look closely to some of the constituents’ of this add diet and it will be fun to explore some really cool add diet recipes.
A little something about ADD Diet
Symptoms of Attention Disorders have always been linked to add diet. ADD diet does not consist of processed factory foods and artificial colors and preservatives. Diets for add are devoid of too much sugar and junk food. Add diets consist of natural food like raw fruit and raw vegetables. According to latest research, a protein rich breakfast can help an ADD child as well as an add adult. Medicine in not enough to help an ADD/ADHD adult or child. Proper changes in diet are important. ADD Diet is important. According to Eugene Arnold, M.D. (author of A Family’s Guide to Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ) following foods are the most healthy and natural food for ADD adults and ADD children
- Vitamin supplements
It is always good to believe in the power of Natures Skittles. Look at a picture my friend shared at facebook.com
Feingold Diet: A Popular ADD Diet
In the early 1970s, Dr. Benjamin Feingold generated a firestorm of excitement and controversy by asserting that certain foods and food additives could trigger ADHD. Dr. Feingold asserts that ADD diet should be devoid of artificial food sweeteners, food colors, food flavors etc. The Feingold diet says that even synthetic fragrances should be avoided. (Synthetic fragrances like those found in bubble baths, laundry soaps, candles and air fresheners). Feingold ADD diet has got a lot of positive response and there are many success stories too.
ADD Diet and Gluten
Some people say that a successful ADD Diet is Gluten-free. Read more about this view point here
Diet and ADD; is there a relationship? Some controlled research studies:
- Dr. Lidy Pelsser of the ADHD Research Centre in the Netherlands, writes in The Lancet that ADD Diet may help Kids more than Drugs. This proves that Diet changes in ADHD work.
- According to latest research food additives cause hyperactivity.
- Researchers found that 50 grams of homemade baby food would probably have the same energy and protein as 100 grams of the commercial food. Their findings were published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood.
- Last year, four scientists announced that some autistic children were found to have a Nutritional deficiency.
ADD Diet Recipes
There is no fun of ADD diet without recipes. Many people have shared their personal add diet recipes at online forums like
- Blending a fruit with a little milk to make a yummy smoothie. A little ice will be lovely too. A friend of mine adds a scoop of ice cream to her smoothie, Wonderful.
- Cheese and macaronis (The classical mac n cheese combination)
- Cheese and Bakes potatoes
- Cheese cooked with eggs (this is my favorite, two minute recipe)
- Mixing different fruits with yogurt can create different flavors of yogurt. Of course you can buy them too but home made products are best for controlling add symptoms.
- Please do not say, you are so busy you do not have time to make the above mentioned things. These add diet recipes are too easy and would take less than 10 minutes.
ADD diet for children: Some cool tips
The following tips may help ensure proper growth and development for all children:
■ Children should consume three regularly scheduled meals and two to three snacks a day. It is proven that children who consume breakfast have a more consistent attention span and perform better throughout the day.
■ Teach children that the less processed the food, the better it is for them. An orange is always better than orange juice, a potato better than potato chips, and an apple better than applesauce.
■ Encourage children to help pick out healthful foods at the grocery store. They are more likely to consume foods they have chosen.
■ Similarly, have children aid in food preparation. Teach them how to make healthy food
Controlling add with add diet
Psychologists, Nutritionist and experts of ADHD claim that Drugs are not needed for ADHD. Is it possible? The question is that can we treat ADD with diet? Numerous studies have demonstrated that the behavior of some children improves when they avoid certain foods and eat an add diet. There are so many innovations and creativity that can be demonstrated in the add diet plan and I am sure “add diet” is worth a try. Please try the above mentioned add diet recipes and tell me the results. I am impatiently waiting for your comments.